Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Bob Marley

Usually most 5 year olds listen to Barney or the Teletubbies, but I listened to the pot smoking and no worries man Bob Marley. My older cousin would listen to him almost everyday and by the time I was 7 and capable of memorizing, I knew Bob Marley's biggest hits. His music always brought sometype of calmness to me. I never judged him smoking weed because I believe that some the biggest hits can come from guys that are high or sober. Whenever I am feeling depressed or angry, just a slide and a click on my ipod, I feel relaxed and can zone out from what I am stressing about. Some people use weed to make them feel good, I have to listen to a pot head's songs to feel good for the day. He touches so many souls with his reggae tone music. He voice and songs are the most original, talking about his experiences and thoughts living in Jamica.
Everyone in my family knows at least one song of his and every family party he is always played. My mom knows most of his songs as well. Everytime I play his music, she is always the first one to start singing. My dad sometimes sings but he never knows all the words. My dad loves repeating one of Marley's quotes, " Smoke the herb, it reveals you to yourself." My dad of course would remember that quote because he was a semi big pot head and drinker. Though he has been sober for over 20 years, he likes to mention his troubled days so I don't repeat them. I told him no worries, everythings gonna be alright. My mom and I laughed but my dad didn't.
By the time I went to 6th grade I was all about Bob Marley. I don't think it was an obsession but just something that I believed was mine. Most teens my age know of him because he smoked but not his music. I had enough shirts to last me an entire week and sweatshirts, the only thing that was missing was an ipod so that I could listen to his music during class. My piers knew me for wearing his shirts almost twice or more a week, which got really old for me. Now I wear his shirts like once a month or twice a month, but I will never stop listening to his music. I have an ipod now so I can escape from anything and listen to my favorite artist of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment