Saturday, February 20, 2010

Dialogue

Opening the door to Main St. Café, a guy named Robbie walks in with enthusiasm, wearing a buttoned up shirt, and jeans. He looks for a spot to sit and waits for the arrival of his best friend. While Robbie smiles down at the flyer he brought, there was a shadow, hovering over Leonard’s shoulder. Robbie stares and says “Hey took you long enough.” Hovering over his shoulder was Robbie’s best friend, Leonard. Leonard was the complete opposite of Robbie, he looked grimy with a messy beard and crooked glasses, wearing a flannel shirt and ripped jeans.
“What do you want Rob?” Leonard says with no expression.
“Dude, don’t tell me you’re still sad about Ren?”
“Explain to me why I am here?”
“Read this.” Robbie hands over Leonard the flyer:

Are you pursuing to become a director? You want to be just like Steven Spielberg and James Cameron? Want to create a box office hit, well you’re in luck. Paramount Pictures, us, are in search for the next big movie and director(s). All you have to do is make an hour movie and a script to your movie. For all information see other side.

“No!” Leonard slams the flier and starts to leave then Robbie pulls him back down.
“Hey I haven’t even said anything, let alone asked anything from you.”
While sighing, Leonard stares directly at Robbie, “I already know what you are going to say. You are going to ask me to make a movie with you and then you think we are going to win and then we are going to move to Hollywood as happy and rich celebrities,” Leonard says sarcastically.
“Well then. Hey waitress,” snapping his fingers, “can you get my friend something that will loosen him up a little.”
“Rob, I have to go.”
“You have nowhere to go Leonard. You’ll just go back to your bed, laying there thinking about Ren. I wouldn’t be surprised if you started crying.”
Leonard sits back down, “I don’t cry. It just hurts Rob. It’s like she pulled out my heart and stomped on it and stuffed it back in my chest.”
“You only knew her for two weeks. That’s sad and she’s weird, she only likes nerds. Not that you’re a complete nerd, your just top of our business class and she only left you because Steve looks like Albert Einstein.”
“Fine but I’m still not doing the movie.”
“Okay, BUT you’re an amazing writer and I’m top of my film class.”
“Rob, I write for the Senior Center newspaper. Old people love my stuff, especially the old ladies because they love squeezing my chubby cheeks. I don’t write stories, and if I did I would write about a guy, who spent his life trying to make it big, and failed miserably.”
“Hey that would be a great idea!” Robbie shouts, shaking his head.
Leonard then continues on with disapproving ideas, while Robbie zones out, thinking about intriguing ideas that would captivate movie viewers. Robbie thought about classic movies made from Paramount and tried to envision a story that has never been done before. He realized that he couldn’t envision this without his best friend. Sure he wrote for the senior center but Robbie knew Leonard has been writing tons of stories in creative writing. All of his stories varied from drama to comedy but had a story that everyone would listen to. Robbie then had to think of how to get his best friend to take the chance.
“…Your ideas are ridiculous. Rob I got to go.” Again Leonard tries to leave.
“Well, I guess your right. Hey where are you going? I need to pay first. You want to lend me a couple bucks?”
“What the hell Rob, first you come with a stupid idea...”
“Hey excuse me miss.” Robbie calls over the pretty waitress. “Hello but my friend has a question for you.” Robbie elbows Leonard, “Please excuse the way he looks, he’s having a rough time.”
Leonard stares at the waitress, in ah of her looks.
“Leonard,” Robbie snaps his fingers, “Well my friend here, he’s trying to make a movie for Paramount Pictures and is in desperate need of a leading actress. Right Leonard.”
“Uhh yeah, yeah. I’m looking for that girl with something special and you’re perfect…for that role.”
Leonard smiles and after the waitress agrees, they walk off to their dorm to start writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment