Friday, February 26, 2010

Today's Hot List Entries

I have recently become a member of the Rottentomates.com, a site filled with movie ratings, critics, and reviews. Usually before I see a movie, I like to read the rating of the movie because I want my money to be spent on a movie worth watching. Rottentomatoes is the best site to visit for a good movie choice, in my opinion. After creating an account, they listed " Today's Hot List Entries" which were The Godfather, Taxi Drvier, The Godfather Part II, Goodfellas, and No Country for Old Men. Out of all these movies I would watch The Godfather, directed in 1972 by Francis Ford Coppolla and starring Al Pacino, Marlon Brando, and James Caan. This movie is claimed to be the best movie of all time and undoubtedly it is. This movie brought us into a whole new world of being part of an italian mafia family. Marlon Brando shined through his intimidating and respected character, Don Vito Corleone, the ultimate godfather and gave the most memorables lines of all " I'll make him an offer he can't refuse." Though being in the mafia, such power could strain one person, showed through the rest of the Godfather movies in Al Pacino's character, Micheal Corleone.
Of course the next movie to watch would be Godfather part II, but based on the order of what I think are the best of cinematography, I would watch Taxi Driver. Taxi Driver was directed by Martin Scrosese in 1976 starring Robert De Niro and Jodie Foster. The first thing I love about this movie is how Rober De Niro's character, Travis Bickle, drives through the rundown and grimey streets of New York and analyzes how people act around their environment. De Niro prevails in acting out a twisted guy with the need to do what he believes is right and Foster shows her first works as a real actress, acting as a young prostitute. I admite some parts of this movie is so unecessary but the Travis Bickle character can never be remade in cinematography history. Okay, now you can watch the rest of the Godfather Part II, which brings more of a young Robert De Niro as an young immigrant of Don Vito Corleone.
Goodfellas, another movie directed by Scrosese, starring Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci and Ray Liotta. One of my favorite actors, Robert De Niro, again shows another badass in this gangster film. The moive is narrated through Ray Liotta's character, Henry Hill. Henry Hill shows what it takes to become one of the trusted member of a gang. If you didn't follow the rules you were to get smacked. If Scrosese and Coppolla were to create a film together, it would be the most bloddy and realistic gangster moive, but for now it's just a dream.
The next film that you of course would be No Country for Old Men, directed by the Colen Brothers, and starring Tommy Lee Jones, Javier Bardem, and Josh Brolin. This movie I'm not to crazy about, but I think I am only saying that because the ending pissed me off when I first watched it. Later on I found out the reason for the ending, and though I wish it was different, it made complete sense with movie. My favorite charcter was Javier Bardem's character Anton, a psycho killer for money. To me, his character is the modern day Frankenstein carrying around a powerful oxygen tank that was connected to some type of device that would shoot out enought oxygen to leave a whole through a key hole. His character was unstoppable, and that is why his charcter survives. Tommy Lee Jones played the old sherieff that basically gives in because there's "No Country for Old Men." To me a good movie but nothing compared to the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment